Giorgio Cangioli, president of HL7 Italy, is one of the funded expert within the StandICT.eu framework under the first Open Call. He applied for a long-term proposal, “GDPR HL7 FHIR Guidelines”. The development of this guide is expected to identify possible gaps in the existing standard and trigger change proposals to the core FHIR standard and/or specify new FHIR profiles or extensions to support the GDPR needs.
The deployment of this activity brought two concrete impacts on the ICT Standardisation landscape:
1. Support to the development of a guidance for (mainly European, but not only) implementers using the HL7 FHIR standard to support GDPR requirements.
2. Providing a set of real-world reference cases, based on the International Patient Summary scenario, to be used either as example for the guidance either as test case for verifying the appropriateness of the content developed.
The most relevant activity has been the discussion about the representation of the AND/OR conditions in a consent resource. A tracker item for the FHIR core has been issued and a decision has been at the end taken. Besides, an enhanced version of the GDPR IPS use cases document has also been delivered. The working team suggested to publish the work on the GDPR IPS use cases together with the white paper in the official HL7 Confluence page and use it as basis for a future FHIR Implementation Guide.
The candidate mainly joined the several activities of the HL7 Working Group as the following ones:
1. Participation to the Project ConfCalls
2. Continuous maintenance of the IPS use case supportive document.
3. Revision of the Provenance examples
4. New examples for the IPS Bundle and Consent.
Here some public links available with the most significant outputs deriving from the candidate’s activity: